Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Uneven Spring

It's chilly today.  I know, I know, I'm from Idaho.  I should be able to handle 55 degrees.  More observations of the Shoreline colony have yielded some snowy egrets in with the great egrets.  I don't think there are more than a half-dozen pairs of birds yet, and I haven't seen any babies. (I see them every evening when I pick up my spouse from work.)  I can't be sure, but the number of birds I've seen this year seems far smaller than last year.  It could still be early to see a lot of animals.
Egrets in the trees at Shoreline.

What I did discover was a big pond of tadpoles at CuriOdyssey.  I was out visiting the roadrunners and finally noticed the frog pool was full of tadpoles.  A few weeks ago a little girl asked me if there were any frogs in the pond, and I told her no.  Oops.  The tadpoles are now in various stages of development.  Some are pretty big, but none have any signs of legs yet.  I noticed them coming up to the surface of the water, and thought they might be taking gulps of air, but a keeper at CO said they're just eating the algae on the surface of the water since they're relying on gills at this point.
Tadpoles at CuriOdyssey

No comments:

Post a Comment